Man Boat Wave
The aim of this project was to create a realistic wave, which would raise the character and their boat and eventually drop them back into the water. The animation of this project was created in Adobe Flash CS6, while the graphics were created in Adobe Illustrator CS6.
- This animation is designed to loop indefinitely.
- Each time the wave crashes, there is a follow through of resulting ripples, which must settle again before the next wave can begin.
- The water alone consists of over 7 layers, each used to represent a particular area of the wave.
- The sound of the wave building and crashing through the scene is actually a recording of a car driving past, with its pitch shifted and EQ applied.
What I learned
- I learned a lot about timing, particularly on the section where the character falls out of the air.
- Each time I created a version of the wave, I worked to further refine the motion to make it more realistic.
- I learned that in this type of animation, storyboards and plans will take you so far, but eventually you will just have to go with what feels right for the timings in particular.
- I gained a lot of experience in transitioning between convex and concave shapes, especially in the building and breaking of the main wave.